The quaint northern Michigan village of Walloon Lake provides an idyllic backdrop for writers to discover and hone their skills and the 2nd Annual Walloon Lake Writer’s Retreat (April 13-16, 2023) offers an inspiring, intimate and collaborative setting for those seeking stimulation and ideas for their literary works.
This year’s special guest and moderator is John Patrick Hemingway, a Canadian/American writer and journalist, who will lead the writers in their workshops and activities. In 2007, he published Strange Tribe (The Lyons Press), a memoir that details the turbulent, love/hate relationship between his father, Dr. Gregory Hemingway, and his grandfather, the Nobel Laureate Ernest Hemingway. After that, John published a number of short stories in magazines and literary reviews such at The Saturday Evening Post and Provincetown Arts. He has also written for many fishing and hunting magazines such as Showboats International and Ducks Unlimited. Recently, John finished a novel, Pamplona, which takes place in Spain during the Fiesta de San Fermín, a nine-day event that was made famous in the1920s by the publication of his grandfather’s work The Sun Also Rises. John’s novel is a modern-day reinterpretation of the Fiesta that follows a group of Anglo-American expats as they run with the bulls, drink and party to excess and in general live their lives to the fullest.
The Walloon Writers Retreat begins Thursday evening and continue through Sunday early afternoon. The weekend packages start at $850 per person (based on room type/occupancy) and includes:
- Three nights’ accommodations at the award-winning Hotel Walloon (including three breakfasts)
- Pre fixe group dinner one evening at the historic Walloon Lake Inn (excluding alcohol)
- writing leadership sessions lead by published writers, including John Patrick Hemingway
- access to unique locations around the quaint Village for private writing time
- networking and collaboration with fellow budding writers
- an autographed copy of John Patrick Hemingway’s memoir, Strange Tribe
- VIP seating for “A Lakeside Chat with John Patrick Hemingway” (also open to the public).
- admission to “Hemingway in Northern Michigan” by Chris Struble, president of the Michigan Hemingway Society.
- a guided caravan tour of key Hemingway locales hosted by the Michigan Hemingway Society
Reservations can be made by calling Hotel Walloon at (231) 535-5000.
Hotel Walloon is located in Northern Michigan and is a privately-owned AAA Four Diamond boutique property. Hotel Walloon is a luxury boutique hotel that hosts (32) unique guest rooms. The Hotel features include complimentary valet service, a private bar exclusively for Hotel guests and four complimentary food offerings during the day including; a continental breakfast, fresh snacks, and an assortment of hors d’oeuvres in the evening, followed by a dessert display. The Hotel also offers is a billiards room, 24-hour fitness facility and an outdoor heated spa whirlpool. Dinning opportunities are located a few steps away at the casual experience of Barrel Back Restaurant or at the fine dining establishment, the Walloon Lake Inn.
Hotel Walloon offers an Up North atmosphere with unlimited adventure. The Hotel, open year-round, provides an unparalleled level of hospitality for guests during their stay. We are centrally located between Petoskey, Charlevoix and Boyne City.