Without question, there are hundreds…thousands of things to love about Pure Michigan! From coast to coast to coast, through rural countrysides and in thriving urban centers, the Great Lakes State delivers countless destinations and products that you’ll love to explore in the month of February!
1. Valentine Vodka – Michigan’s sexiest distilled spirits is hand-crafted and can be found in bars, restaurants and stores around the state. Sample it at the 3rd Annual Red Party on Thursday, February 9 at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel.
2. Harbor Country Chocolate Classic – Dozens of venues in eight quaint communities in Berrien County gather together to celebrate our sweet love of chocolate, throughout the month of February.
3. Love Stories – The Seasons of the Emma Lee & On Past Horton Creek are love stories written by Michael Lindley of Grand Rapids, set in and around Charlevoix. Rated one of my best reads in the past few years!
4. Spas – Relaxing for one…romantic for two! Many of the area’s destinations spas offer couple’s treatments which teach you techniques for releasing tension and endorphins – including The Homestead Resort, Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, The Inn at Bay Harbor in Bay Harbor near Petoskey and Crystal Mountain Resort, to name only a few. For a list of Michigan destination spas, visit www.Michigan.org.
5. Department of Romances, Languages & Literature at University of Michigan – Did you ever know something like this existed? It appears that this department hosts a variety of events such as movie screenings, book discussions and other activities that you’re sure to love!
6. Wine – With nearly 100 Michigan wineries, it shouldn’t be difficult to find the perfect vino to fall in love with. SEX from L. Mawby is a sought after sparkling wine, while St. Julian’s Simply Pink gives back to help raise awareness and funds for breast cancer research. For a list of other Michigan wineries, log onto www.MichiganWines.com
7. Love Songs – From “We’ve Got Tonight” from Bob Seger to Madonna’s “Open Your Heart” and Stevie Wonder’s “I Just Called to Say I Love You” – these Michigan musicians can help set the mood for Valentine’s Day.
8. Love Creek – This Berrien County waterway winds its way through this rolling 150-acre natural area outside of Berrien Springs. Six miles of hiking trails are found along the creek, featuring a variety of habitats – including a mature Beech-Maple forest, and so much more.
9. Craft Beer – Michigan is home to nearly 100 microbreweries with an array of recipes ideal for Valentine’s Day, including Espresso Love – tasty stout from Arbor Brewing, Two Hearted Ale from Bells Brewery Inc., iO Saison from Jolly Pumpkin, and the new Aorta Ale from Short’s Brewing. For a more on Valentine’s beers, visit www.facebook.com/michiganbrewersguild.
10. Grocer’s Daughter – My favorite Michigan chocolatier…based in Empire. These truffles are amazingly delicious (some are infused with local wines). The 16-piece Tropical Love package is perfect for Valentine’s Day!
11. Stage Shows – A night on the town…theater style. Check out “Marriage is Murder” in Holland, “Romantic Fools” at the Stormfield Theater in Lansing and “Love, Loss and What I Wore” at the Gem & Century Theatres and Century Club Restaurant in Detroit. For more romantic-themed events, visit www.Michigan.org.
12. Good Hart General Store – A highlight of the M119 “Tunnel of Trees” which travels from Harbor Springs north along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Stop in and check out the great local souvenirs!