Date(s) - 02/22/2019
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Categories No Categories
20/21st Century: Celebrating Women
John Varineau, conductor
Ava Ordman, trombone
- JOAN TOWER: Chamber Dance
- ANNA CLYNE: Within Her Arms
- RUTH CRAWFORD SEEGER: Andante for Strings
- RUTH CRAWFORD SEEGER: Rissolty, Rossolty
- DAVID BEIDENBENDER: Concerto for Trombone (Grand Rapids co-commission)
Ava Ordman, for nearly 25 years, served as Principal Trombonist of the Grand Rapids Symphony, frequently appearing as soloist with the orchestra. Now a professor of music at Michigan State University, Ordman returns for a concert of 20th and 21st century music, most of it by women. Composers included Grammy Award-winner Joan Tower and early 20th century composer Ruth Crawford Seeger who also happened to be stepmother to folksinger and songwriter Pete Seeger.
Concert starts at 10:00 am. Complimentary coffee and donut hour begins at 9:00 am.